Thursday, October 20, 2011

The new Florence and the Machine album will come out in a week. Woot! Can't wait. I wrote Love is Darkness to that album. Lucas and Valerie in Cafe Rouge was written while listening to My Boy Builds Coffins. That's the obvious one that comes to mind, anyway.

The title of the third book is Love is Mortal. As far as I know that will finish the series. Obviously, I have to write it first and see what happens but the end is pretty final. The only way it could expand is if the things that need to happen can be wrapped up in one book or two.

As a big Urban Fantasy/Paranormal fan myself I know what I like about the genre. It's an escape, the sex scenes are the hottest around in the romance genre, usually rivaling straight erotica, and the tension is usually off the charts. But often I find that a lot of books use tension or even the blanket 'it's destiny/they just know they're meant to be together' instead of giving us characters who actually belong together or whom we believe will be together in the long run.

I think that's part of the success of Outlander. Everyone believes Jamie and Claire are living their lives and are happy together. As a big believer in HEA's (Happily Ever After's) I think the books that get remembered and loved are the ones that prove to us a deeper connection beyond lust. And yes, I want that for my own writing.

April 2011 I will be attending Romantic Times in Chicago. Are you going? If so, let me know. I would love to chat with fellow readers and anyone who wants to say hi.

And finally, extra big woot, Love is Darkness is #1 in gothic romance, #2 in contemporary fantasy kindle, #3 contemporary fantasy books and is #72 in overall top 100. To which I say-- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!

2 comments:

  1. Let me try this again (long sigh)

    When I read The Postmistress (tragic, but BEAUTIFULLY written), I listened to "Dog Days Are Over" over and over again. The song made me imagine what it must have been like to live in 1940's London.

    Will Valerie have a happy ever after? Based on your other blog entries, I know that you are also a fan of Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. Sookie's story will end in two more novels, and I'm worried about her HEA. I don't think she will want to spend the rest of her life with a sup (unless she considers a shifter or a were), and a regular human guy might not do it either. If it were me, I'd stab my eye out with a dull pencil if I had to "listen" to my husband check out my ass or complaints about itchy balls all day.

    Earlier, I tried commenting from work, and I think there was something wrong with the internet server. Needless to say, I've tried posting this comment about 40 times today. I feel like your cyber stalker now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER congrats, Caroline!!! You are ROCKING those Amazon numbers!! Keep it up girl!

    Oh, and I wrote a lot of my book to Flo, too!! I'm SOOO excited for the new album! Flo 4EVA!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete